Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 2 - It's all in my head

Day 2

Today started off very scary.  When I woke up during the night to go to the bathroom—something that has become a frequent occurrence to me over the years—I felt like I was going to pass out.  Now this is a feeling that I have had a number of times before, but it may have been a little more intense than before.  I didn’t think much of it, did what I got up to do and then went back to bed.  In the morning my wife got up and walked about 5 feet before exclaiming that she had gotten real dizzy and felt like she was going to pass out.  I told her to walk to hold on to the dresser or sit on the floor.  The feeling only lasted a few minutes and then went away for the rest of the day.  Since we both felt it we figure it is our bodies adjusting to the less sugar they have been receiving.

Otherwise… the day went better than yesterday—I had more energy through most of the day than I did yesterday, but did lose a bit of the energy toward the afternoon.  Along with today comes a good story, complements of my 8-year-old boy.  I was with my boys at my wife’s work while she finished up a project she had been working on.  While going to her work a storm had moved into town and had dropped about an inch of snow.  We waited for my wife and then went to leave about 1 ½ hours later.  It had snowed an additional 5 or more inches.  We knew it would be rough getting back to our house (we live about 3 miles from her work up a hill) and my wife and I were a little worried we would not get there.

You see, as part of the cleanse we have a series of pills to take over the course of every day—each pill containing herbs that perform a specific function.  Some give you a little more energy, some help your stomach digest the food you are eating and others help to kill the candida in the body as well as a plethora of other functions these pills perform.  Now what’s ironic is during all the time I have been trying to resolve my issues the doctors always pulled out their prescription pads and wrote plenty of prescriptions for the different medicines they were taught would work or try those they thought would work.  This always annoyed me as I would think: “oh great… here comes another pill” or “but I’ve already tried that with another doctor and it didn’t work.”  It is ironic that I traded in pills that I’ve been annoyed by for more pills?!?!  I guess I now take comfort in the fact that the pills I am taking now contain all natural items—I guess we will see.

Anyway… back to the part about us being worried about getting home—our eight year old thought it would be a good idea to pray, so as we drove we had him say a prayer.  He prayed that we would be able to make it home safely.  I began to drive the route that I normally drive home and we made a turn off of a main street onto a side street.  We quickly realized that the snowplow had not come on this street yet and we barely made it up the little hill that almost does not constitute as a hill (at least around here).  We made another turn onto a street that was as steeper hill, as we spun our wheels slowly climbing the street—as we approached the bumper of the car in front of us who could not quite go as quickly up the hill as we could—we didn’t dare slow down or we would risk falling victim to the hill and be stuck about 1 mile away from our home.

As we displayed our nervousness about being able to get home my wife asked me if I thought we would be able to make it home.  Without giving me a chance to even speak—we didn’t know he was paying attention—my eight year old son said: “of course we will make it home… we said a prayer.”  Well that was just a moment as a parent when you think to yourself you must be doing something right.  So we made a slight course adjustments deciding to take a route that would be much more difficult at the end, but easier until we were almost home (that way we could walk if we needed to).  We didn’t end up sliding once the rest of the way home, which may not mean anything to some, but if you would have seen what we did you may feel the same way.

All-in-all it was a great day!  Oh yeah, as far as what we ate today.  We had steel cut oats again for breakfast—this will probably be what we have every morning for breakfast—as well as another green drink; spinach, celery, cucumber, romaine lettuce, ginger, lemon and we also decided to add a little water.  Lunch was another salad—we were sure to cut up plenty of red and yellow bell peppers to go with it, but this time we added avocado.  Somebody suggested that during this phase of the diet we each a whole avocado each every day.  It was a little tough getting the whole salad down with that whole avocado, but it was good.

For dinner—which we made after getting home from the great adventure mentioned above—we had tilapia sprinkled with lemon and then seasoned with basil, oregano and salt.  We added a medley of onions, cauliflower and peppers.  It is amazing how great just plain lemon juice tastes on food.  So far we don’t miss all the other spices (man made spices) we use to put on a lot of our food—I know we are only two days into this and some may be thinking that at some point something’s got to give.   Well, lets continue this journey and find out—btw, it's still snowing as we are off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment