Sunday, March 10, 2013

Day 54 - Another Sunday Gone By

The day started out really well this morning and it seems like progress is back so in that regard is was great.  Breakfast was only a juice this morning.  My wife and I are not a problem gaining weight this time like we did before our last fast, and the interesting thing is we have been eating quite a bit less meat, so we though just juice was fine.  Romaine, spinach, cucumber, ginger, lemon, lime and some distilled water.
Church was really good.  During one of the classes where we learn about being better fathers the teacher talked about a really good idea--have an interview with your children on a monthly basis.  It is really only worded an interview because that is what the culture labels them as, but is is really just more like a talk.  The lesson touched me more than lessons have lately so I decided I would try it with my children.

It was very touching at first neither my 4 year old or my 8 year old wanted to have anything to do with it, but before putting both of them to bed we had our talk.  My 4 year old was first.  The idea behind the "interview" is to let the children talk to you about whatever they would like to talk to you about in an environment where they know that no matter what they talk to you about they will not get in trouble.

My 4 year old was only interested in talking about Angry Birds Star Wars so we talked about that for about 5 minutes then sang some songs and then said some prayers and put him to bed.  I knew it would be pretty simple with my 4 year old but wasn't sure how my 8 year old would react.

I ended up talking to him much later than I had anticipated but he kept asking and making sure I knew we needed to have our "interview" before he went to bed.  We must have had a good 20-25 minute talk where he asked questions about God, talked to me about a lot of things on his mind and then we said a prayer.

It was very sweet.  I told both my boys that we would do this on a monthly basis so as we said a prayer my son prayed that we would be able to do this every month and then paused and said or every Sunday.  He was so touched by our little talk that he cried a little.  It was  great opportunity for us to talk for a few more minutes and tell each other how much we loved each other and then send him off to bed.  Great times!

Back to the day... lunch was leftovers and some blueberry muffins.  This was the first day we have tried to eat cooked fruit and it was pretty good.  We have been worried about trying the fruit because not all the symptoms are gone but we decided that if it didn't go well we would be just a few days away from a cleanse so we did it anyway.  They were pretty good and I think we'll have some of the leftovers tomorrow.

Had a smaller Sunday afternoon nap (about 1 hour, which felt like 2 or 3).  Dinner was spaghetti with Ground Turkey and a medley of vegetables.  Spaghetti sauce was made from tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and then mixed with pre-cooked yellow onions and shredded zucchini and ground turkey.  The vegetable medley was made with coconut oil--used to cook green onions, brussel sprouts, zucchini, asparagus and red and yellow peppers.  We used spaghetti squash for noodles as well as our favorite gluten free (brown rice) noodles (EXCELLENT AS ALWAYS!!!) and I ate too much.

We finally sat in the sauna again for a little while tonight, the first time in at least a few days and it felt nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment